Reporting a Crime

If you believe a crime has been committed, you should contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.

If the incident occurred in the Clifton city limits, call the Clifton Police Department:

(928) 865-4566

For all other areas in Greenlee County, call the Sheriffs Office:

(928) 865-4149

For an emergency anywhere in the county, call 911.

You can contact the Arizona Attorney General’s Office:

1275 West Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 542-5025

For problems with bad checks, contact the County Attorney’s Bad Check Program:

(928) 865-4108

Family Problems


(888) SOS-CHILD or (888) 767-2445

If this is an emergency, call 911. If not, the County Attorney’s Office receives cases through law enforcement agencies.

If the incident occurred in the Clifton city limits, call the Clifton Police Department:

(928) 865-4566

For all other areas in Greenlee County, call the Sheriffs Office:

(928) 865-4149

The Graham/Greenlee Safe House can be reached at:

(928) 348-9104 or (800) 786-7380

You can obtain an order of protection at the following Greenlee County Justice or Magistrate Courts:

Clifton Magistrate
510 N. Coronado Blvd.
Clifton, AZ

Justice of the Peace
Court # 1
Greenlee County Annex Bldg
253 Fifty St
Clifton, AZ

Superior Court
Greenlee County Courthouse
223 Fifth St
Clifton, AZ

Justice of the Peace
Court # 2
1684 Fairgrounds Rd.
Duncan, AZ

The County Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice or take legal action in your divorce. You should consult with a private lawyer.

For matters concerning child support, call the Arizona Department of Economic Security’s Child Support Enforcement Department:

(928) 865-4131

You or a family member on your behalf can call the Elder Law Hotline:

(800) 231-5441

Through the Hotline, you can speak with an attorney for free if you are an Arizona resident and are at least 60 years of age. Visit the Elder Law Hotline’s web site, for more information.

Being a Victim

Many people incorrectly believe a victim has the power to “press charges” or “drop the charges” against the accused. All crimes are considered offenses against the State, not only the victim; therefore, the Greenlee County Attorney’s Office prosecutes criminal complaints on behalf of the State of Arizona. Only the attorney prosecuting the case can decide to file or dismiss charges, though the victim’s opinion is important in that decision. A variety of factors are taken into account when deciding whether to honor a victim’s request not to proceed with prosecuting, including:

  • the nature and extent of the defendant’s criminal history
  • the severity of the alleged crime
  • whether the defendant has other pending charges in the criminal justice system
  • future danger to the community

Article 2 Section 2.1 of the Arizona State Constitution provides for the right of victims of a crime. Visit our Victims’ Bill of Rights page for a list of those rights.

The Arizona Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund may be able to help you with out-of-pocket medical expenses, lost wages, funeral expenses, loss of support and mental health.

Violent crimes often leave more emotional scars than physical ones. To speak to a counselor, contact:

SEABHS (South Eastern Arizona Behavioral Health Services Inc.)
430 N. Coronado Blvd
Clifton, AZ 85533
(928) 865-4531

For after hour Emergency Services call

(800) 586-9161.

Going to Trial

A misdemeanor is a crime punishable by a fine and no more than 6 months in jail. A felony is a crime that carries a prison sentence in the State Department of Corrections for more than one year.

Misdemeanor cases occurring in Greenlee County are tried in the Justice Court. Felonies are tried in the Superior Court.

Class 1 misdemeanor: Maximum of 6 months in jail, $2,500 fine, 3 years probation.

Class 2 misdemeanor: Maximum of 4 months in jail, $750 fine, 2 years probation.

Class 3 misdemeanor: Maximum of 30 days in jail, $500 fine, 1 year probation.

There are also petty offenses. The maximum fine for these is $300.

If your case is set for a pretrial conference and you are the defendant, your lawyer will get a free copy. If you want to see the report more quickly, you may obtain it directly from the law enforcement agency at a small charge.

If your case is set directly for trial and you are the defendant, your lawyer may pick up your police report and other disclosures at no charge at the Greenlee County Attorney’s Office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Note that it will not be available until 20 days after your arraignment.

If you are a victim or witness, you can obtain a police report from the law enforcement agency involved at a small charge.

You can call the Greenlee County Attorney’s Office at (928) 865-4108. You will need to know the defendant’s name and, if possible, the date of the next hearing. The prosecutors are often in court, so please be prepared to leave a message with a phone number where you can be called, both before and after 5 p.m.

If you have suffered a monetary loss, such as damage to your home or medical bills, because of a crime committed against you, the judge may order restitution in the amount of your loss if the defendant was found guilty. If the defendant does not pay the amount, notify the judge or the prosecutor or file a restitution lien against the defendant’s property.

If you are the defendant, you have a right to remain silent, and the judge and jury are not allowed to hold your silence against you. If you are a witness or victim, however, you must testify. If you have concerns about testifying, talk to the prosecutor in the case.

You must attend all court appearances. If you have a problem before the day of a misdemeanor trial, you have to file a motion to get a new court date. Forms are available at the appropriate court. If a problem occurs on the day of the trial, call the judge as quickly as possible. In felony trials, call your attorney as soon as possible. Note that only the judge can grant you a continuance.

You don’t have to have an attorney for a misdemeanor trial. For a felony trial, the judge will determine whether your income makes you eligible for a court-appointed attorney.

The judge can set up a time payment program for you, based on your income. A fee of $20 is required for this service.

Employment Opportunities

Contact the Greenlee County Board of Supervisors Office at:

Greenlee County Annex
253 Fifth St
Clifton, AZ 85533
(928) 865-2072


The Greenlee County Attorney’s Office cannot give legal advice to private citizens. However, we encourage you to seek advice from a local attorney.


Connect With the County

Greenlee County Government
253 5th St
Clifton, AZ 85533

Mon – Fri: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Greenlee County News & Updates

The latest County news, articles, and resources, delivered to your inbox automatically.

© 2023 Greenlee County . All Rights Reserved | powered by Better IT Services